This soup is incredibly versatile and can be adjusted according to your taste and the ingredients you have on hand. You can use almost any combination of meat, vegetables or tofu to make this your own. While you can make this soup in under 30 minutes, it’s even better the next day when the flavors have melded together.
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons lemongrass paste
- 2 tablespoons ginger paste
- 2 teaspoons garlic paste
- 4 cups of mixed veggies, chopped (I like broccoli, mushrooms, carrots, baby corn, celery, peas)
- 1 cup meat, fish or tofu or a combination, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/2 cup Thai chili sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons green onion, chopped
Heat broth in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the lemongrass, ginger and garlic and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let simmer for 20 minutes or more. Add veggies, protein and the two sauces and cook for 10 minutes longer or until the veggies are tender and the meat is fully cooked. Ladle into individual bowls, top with cilantro and green onion and serve.