I absolutely love the flavor of chai lattes so it was only a matter of time before the exotic flavors of this delicious beverage made their way into my breakfast bowl. If you do not have the exact spices on hand, you can substitute with more common spices such as nutmeg or allspice and the oats will still be delicious. Steel cut oats generally take a while to cook so when I make them, I’ll cook a large portion and keep it in a container in the refrigerator. They reheat very well in the microwave.
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 2 cup milk (I like vanilla almond milk in this recipe)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- pinch of salt
- Toppings of your choice (raisins, coconut, nuts, dried fruits)
Pour the milk and the oats into a large pot. Add the spices and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to cook the oats, stirring every few minutes, for 25 minutes until they are tender and all the milk is absorbed. Sprinkle with any toppings you desire, serve with additional milk or syrup (optional).